Monday, June 23, 2008

Wet in Put In Bay




21st June, 2008 Saturday
It was not a lazy comfy Saturday for me. It's the long deep-laid day when I went to Put In Bay. We were supposed to start at 7.30 AM but eventually started at 8.15 AM. Here 'WE' stands for my room mate Soumya, friends Ankita, Arijit and Sampali Pramanik, Pallab and Anindita Pahari, Santanu and Kirti Mandal and their child Srihsti.



We had to rent the car from Airport so I drove all of us to Pittsburgh Airport. We took a Chevrolet Malibu and started our journey towards Catawba. Soumya and Ankita were the drivers and hence me and the Pramaniks were slipping at the back. We took a break at a rest place and had some food. We ultimately reached there around 1 pm. It was a pain to get a parking place.





It was quite hot and humid out there. We rode a Miller ferry towards our destination. Put in Bay has three islands South Bass, Middle and North Bass. Among them South Bass is the place people visit. The Ferry can take both cars and people. We chose no
t to take our cars.
As soon I was in the boat deck I started shooting photos of each and everything pretty much like Japanese tourists. Afterall thats my prime incentive while travelling. We reached Put In Bay in around 20 minutes. The place was looking lovely when we got down but the sky was frightening.

All our prayers gone unanswered when the sky fell down as soon we went down the boat. It was dark like evening and it was raining heavily. We ran to the Golf cart renting center and waited there for the rain to stop. But the rain god was in no mood to stop. When it turned into drizzle we rented two golf carts and started our journey. I got to drive one of them and excitedly started driving.





The road was scenic and the cart was neat. We were driving through some farm houses and empty lands. But our merriment didn't last long. Just five minutes in our journey the rain returned in its full glory and strength. The cart had no cover in the sides and everyone was completely sopping. Furthermore there were no place to stop the cart and take shelter. So great was the force of the rain that I was literally driving the cart with my eyes closed. We saw a shop beside the road and without thinking further parked our cart and took shelter in there. We were completely drenched. When the girls went inside the shop, me and Arijit da took off our shirt and drained the water as much we could. We bought some protection from rain in the form of plastics and wore them before we started. It was horrible as each one of us were completely soaking with water. My trousers became so heavy that I was afraid it will fall down. But God saved me from that embarrassment.


Somehow we started again and reached the happening part of the city. We got into a restaurant and before ordering anything we went to restroom. There we invented the act of drying our dresses with the blower. We tried all sorts of acrobatics and worked to an extent. Then we went to a shop beside it and I bought a T-Shirt to remain wet I guess. It was aptly captioned 'My life is crap'.

No comments: